Occasionally when money, time and the day job either permit or in case of the latter - complement - the Oilholic’s pursuits; he packs his bags from London and heads out of town.
There is of course the regular Austrian jaunt to the OPEC Secretariat in Vienna. Other recent destinations were Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Chile, Colombia, Hong Kong, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Oman, Peru, Qatar, South Korea, Taiwan, Turkey, UAE and USA.
Sometimes industry events such as meetings of OPEC ministers, World Petroleum Congresses and industry seminars influence the direction and pattern of travel. Rather 'crudely', this blog always accompanies the Oilholic overseas - be it for business or pleasure!
What follows here is a collection of logs, in descending order from latest overseas visit to last, written from some lands far, far away and some not so far away.
Logs from 171st OPEC Ministers' Meeting, Vienna, Austria (November 2016):
- A right royal ‘crude’ scrum
- He’s making an inventory, checking it twice...
- OPEC agrees output cut of 1.2m bpd to 32.5m bpd
- The crude question of post-OPEC compliance
Logs from Melbourne & Sydney, Australia (November 2016):
Logs from Grangemouth, Scotland (September 2016):
Logs from Fujairah, UAE (September 2016):
Logs from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA (September 2016):
Logs from New York, USA (September 2016):
Logs from the 169th OPEC Ministers' Meeting, Vienna, Austria (June 2016):
- ‘Mum’s the word’ for new Saudi oil minister
- OPEC issues no word on quota (again!)
- A Saudi briefing, Iran's barrels & OPEC’s Sec Gen
Logs from Houston, Texas, USA (May 2016):
- Gauging crude sentiments in Houston Town
- It’s about the ‘crude’ bid/ask differential stupid!
- ExxonMobil's Ghost Building in Houston
- On non-OPEC distress & the road ahead
Logs from San Francisco, California, USA (March 2016):
Logs from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (March 2016):
Logs from Tokyo, Japan (March 2016):
Logs from Taipei, Taiwan (March 2016):
Logs from Seoul, South Korea (March 2016):
Logs from the 168th OPEC Ministers' Meeting, Vienna, Austria (December 2015):
- Oil oversupply has triggered risk premium fatigue
- Saudis, Iranians not budging - short baby short!
- OPEC quota where it was, no figures needed
- Brent & WTI fall by over 3% on OPEC call
- Crude oil tumbles as OPEC stumbles
Logs from Sao Paulo, Brazil (October 2015):
Logs from Buenos Aires, Argentina (October 2015):
Logs from Santiago, Chile (October 2015):
Logs from Lima, Peru (October 2015):
Logs from Bogota, Colombia (October 2015):
- Latin America's commodities downturn problem
- Why ‘chiflados’ in Caracas infuriate Colombians
- Santos hopes to give peace a chance in Colombia
Logs from the GI Energy Markets Forum, Fujairah, UAE (September 2015):
Logs from OPEC seminar & 167th Ministers' Meeting, Vienna, Austria (June 2015):
- OPEC's 167th meet: The crude story so far
- No change at OPEC, 30mbpd is the 'official' quota
- OPEC’s hunt for an ‘equitable’ oil price
Logs from Houston, Texas, USA (May 2015):
Logs from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA (April 2015):
Logs from Houston & Austin, Texas, USA (February 2015):
Logs from Mexico City, Mexico (February 2015):
Logs from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (January 2015):
Logs from the 166th OPEC Meeting, Vienna, Austria (November 2014):
- OPEC grapples with a buyers’ market
- Bears in the crude jungle don’t scare Al-Naimi
- Internal wrangles see OPEC quota left at 30mbpd
Logs from Shanghai, China (September 2014):
Logs from Hong Kong SAR (September 2014):
Logs from Tokyo, Japan (September 2014):
Logs from the 21st World Petroleum Congress, Moscow, Russia (June 2014):
- 21 WPC Moscow: Who is here & said what so far
- Iran O&G projects: A possible market comeback?
- Oilholic’s photo clicks @ the 21st WPC host city
- Final ‘crude’ thoughts from 21 WPC Moscow
Logs from the 165th OPEC Meeting, Vienna, Austria (June 2014):
- OPEC vibes, a Libyan matter & market chatter
- The morning so far at Helferstorferstrasse 17
- There's something about Mr El-Badri
- Iraqi situation likely to unleash crude bull runs
Logs from Zagreb, Croatia (May 2014):
Logs from San Francisco, California, USA (April 2014):
Logs from Istanbul, Turkey (March 2014):
Logs from Rotterdam, The Netherlands (January 2014):
Logs from the 164th OPEC Meeting, Vienna, Austria (December 2013):
- OPEC's politics is the main show, not the quota
- The acknowledgement: OPEC flags-up US output
- OPEC holds quota at 30 mbpd, El-Badri stays on
Logs from Houston, Texas, USA (November 2013):
- Greening up the USA’s oil capital
- ‘Frackers’ & US coffers plus other crude matters
- A chat at Platts, ‘LHS’ & the Houston glut
Logs from Aberdeen, Scotland (October 2013):
- A crude walk down 'Exploration Drive'
- North Sea & the 'crude' mood in Aberdeen
- An ‘Atlas’ of e-learning for a contact sport
Logs from Khasab & Muscat, Oman (August /September 2013):
- The Strait of Hormuz & Omani moves
- On Bukha’s oil & the beauty of Khasab
- Profiling Oman's E&P and its wider market impact
Logs from Abu Dhabi, UAE (August 2013):
Logs from Oslo, Norway (August 2013):Logs from 2013 G8 Summit, Lough Erne, Northern Ireland (June 2013):
- The 2013 G8 summit, Syria & crude prices
- Crude bits of the ‘Lough Erne Declaration'
- Sight & sounds from the G8 in Enniskillen
- Notes on Northern Ireland’s own ‘crude’ boom
Logs from the 163rd OPEC Meeting, Vienna, Austria (May 2013):
- Shale & the 163rd OPEC ministers’ summit
- Saudi oil minister & the Oilholic’s natter
- As expected OPEC quota stays at 30 mbpd!
- OPEC & the downward bias in Black Gold’s value
Logs from Toronto, Ontario, Canada (April 2013):
Logs from Chicago, Illinois, USA (March 2013):
- US LNG exports to the UK: The ‘Stateside’ Story
- Crude thoughts from 141 West Jackson Boulevard
- End of Q1 2013 trading @ CBOT & hot air on shale
Logs from the 162nd OPEC Meeting, Vienna, Austria (December 2012):
- A meeting, an appointment & Vienna’s icy chill!
- EIA’s switch to Brent is telling
- Initial soundbites before things kick-off at OPEC
- OPEC 'maintains' production quota @ 30mbpd
- Why Iran is miffed at (some in) OPEC?
Logs from Hawaii, USA (October 2012):
Logs from San Diego, California, USA (October 2012):
Logs from Dubai, UAE (August 2012):
- Talking global 'crude' capex in the Emirates
- Oil rich Abu Dhabi’s 'benign' shadow over Dubai
- The world according to ENOC, Jebel Ali & more
- G7’s crude gripe, “Make oil prices dive”
Logs from the 161st OPEC Meeting, Vienna, Austria (June 2012):
- First vibes from OPEC, monthly data & Mr. Al-Naimi
- OPEC hawks are back in town (too)!
- An OPEC seminar & an Indian minister
- The tussle for OPEC Secretary General’s post
- OPEC 'holds' production at 30 mbpd as expected
- “Stability, stability, stability,” says El-Badri
Logs from Houston, Texas, USA (April 2012):
- First thoughts from Texas & Macondo bistro
- Houston, We have a natural gas price problem!
- On Oilfield services co’s & a Texan Goodbye
Logs from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (April 2012):
- Canadian & Russian supply risk scenarios
- Tankers in English Bay & Canada's Confidence
- What prospective Albertan pipelines mean for BC
Logs from San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA (March 2012):
- ‘Crude’ views from across the pond
- A Californian emission law, refiners & Muir woods
- Crude market’s health & farewell to the Bay Area
Logs from Delhi, India (January/February 2012):
- EU’s Iran ban, upcoming Indian adventure & Cairn
- Crude India & its ‘One Lakh ki Gaadi’!
- Delhi’s traffic jams, officials & other crude matters
- Farewell to India, global spills & crude pricing!
Logs from the 160th OPEC Meeting, Vienna, Austria (December 2011):
- IEA, crude price & Al-Naimi’s strong arm tactics!
- On OPEC chatter & Libyans who matter!
- OPEC's tiffs patched-up! Its all crudely good!
- OPEC 'maintains' production at 30 million bpd
- Speaking @ OPEC & WPC plus Dec's trading lows
Logs from the 20th World Petroleum Congress, Doha, Qatar (December 2011):
- Hello Doha! Time for kick-off at 20th WPC
- An intensely ‘crude’ few days @WPC
- Boisterous Iranians, the WPC & Crude Price
- Talking to Deloitte, Kentz and Baker & McKenzie
- Messrs Voser, Brafau & Tillerson in town
- Oilholic’s photo clicks @ the 20th WPC venue
- Canada, India pitch to world & each other!
- Of ConocoPhillips & the integrated model
- Oilholic at Qatar Petroleum’s Dukhan field
- Sunset in Doha: Off from WPC to OPEC!
- We’re nowhere near “Peak oil” er...perhaps!
Logs from the 159th OPEC Meeting, Vienna, Austria (June 2011):
- Arriving at the not so ‘Ordinary’ OPEC meeting
- Buzz at Central Bank of Oil Before 1600 CET
- No consensus at OPEC; quota unchanged
- OPEC’s 'problem' and Dr.Chalabi’s book
- OPEC, Libya, Vitol & the“No winners” brigade
Logs from San Francisco, California, USA (April 2011):
- Oh the market ‘insouciance’ outside is frightful!
- Talking SPRs & bidding farewell to North America
- Discussing Offshore, BP & all the rest on TV
Logs from Calgary, Alberta, Canada (March/April 2011):
- Goodbye Houston; first thoughts from Calgary
- Glimpses of Fort Calgary, 1914 & all that!
- Crude Oil prices & some governments
Logs from Houston, Texas, USA (March 2011):
- Market Chatter on ‘Crude’ effects of Instability
- First thoughts from Houston…mine & others'
- 1500 Louisiana Street's journey: Enron to Chevron
- There’s Something about the Chronicle
Logs from Budapest, Hungary & 157th OPEC Meeting, Vienna, Austria (October 2010):
- Vienna’s Most Oilholic of all Welcomes
- OPEC’s Own Version of He Said, She Said…
- OPEC Leaves Production Levels Unchanged!
- Is Big Oil Really "Big" Any More?
- Final Thoughts from the 157th OPEC Conference
- Third Time Lucky for OMV?